Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Most Depressing Day

The Most Depressing Day
According to some, January 24 is the most depressing day of the year. People are saddled with Christmas bills, it’s dark out, it’s cold, people are sick, there’s very little to look forward to in the next few weeks holiday-wise and generally it’s a good time for feeling crummy.
My experience this time of year is different. We are exactly half-way through the school year, which feels good since I teach. And because the weather’s so bad I’m getting a lot of work done. I’ve managed to get my storage lockers down from two to one and I’m dealing with all--okay some--of the loose ends of my projects. I’m throwing out old files and cancelled checks from years ago. I’m managing to face up to the fact that maintenance is just as important as making piles of new art. What good is a stained, wet pile of art that you didn’t have time to get off of the floor because you were so busy making more art?
So I’m chipping away at taking care of things and dealing with the work I’ve already done. With some exceptions, of course. My daughter showed me a new printmaking technique a few weeks ago that involves polyester plates and direct printing. So tomorrow I’m going to show a couple of my fellow teachers what I’ve learned and we’re going to print up a storm and then go out to dinner.
And the point I am making is..? Balance, everyone. You put in time to maintain your studio and to take care of your art. You attack unpleasant things that you’ve been avoiding like lining up your tax stuff or getting your medical forms sent in. And then something new and wonderful shows up and you play. That’s how to handle January.

No comments: