Sunday, September 14, 2008

Nature at the New

So the New Museum has Nature in their galleries right now...some of this show is powerful, indeed with the usual ho-hum here and there. For my money, the Herzog film of Kuwait from 1991 is the star of the show. I was riveted. The images are so gorgeous and horrible all at once. I wish I had a remote and could stop and rewind and such. It all went by too fast, not to mention that there was another noisy piece nearby which may it hard for me to hear any dialogue.

I'm currently painting a forest fire, which is going slowly, so destruction is on my mind.

Quick dismissal: Unibomber cabin. And?
Liked: weird, sewn creepy figures, horse going into wall, writhing figure near stairs (although this doesn't probably work in NY as well as elsewhere).
Grossed out: AIDS masseuse mom video. The close up of the feet was truly horrible. How stupid did that artist look with his weeds in his hair in the park and the other antics?

This museum was so missed and I'm so glad it's back. I need indignation as well as quality to fire up my creative furnace.

No comments: